Thursday, March 29, 2012

Time to Write Again

Since I don't have a horse in the race this season for any of the theatres, I thought I would try to see as many shows as I can and write about them. Likely most will be Riverwalk Shows, although I'd really like to hit LCP, Peppermint Creek, and Over the Ledge Theatre, Co - a new troupe in town formed by Joseph Dickson.

I really enjoy writing, and I've missed the theatre. I've been very comfortable at home and just celebrated my first anniversary with Roger in Vegas - but I think now it's a good time to get back into the field and involve myself in the best way I can. It's ambitious, but it feels good at the same time. Kind of a personal goal, I guess you could say.

One of the nice things about writing in a blog is that I'm not limited in space. I also try to hit both positives and negatives and provide constructive criticisms, instead of leaving off for the "I didn't care for this or that" kind of line without much of an explanation. I realize too that the only people, and I'm sure they are very few, who might read this blog will be theatre people, so I'm also not bound by my audience necessarily. I'm writing for theatre people and I do have direct experience in just about every aspect of what it takes to put a show up, including hanging lights (I HATE THAT!). So I think I bring a more discerning eye than a lot of people with much less experience who critique - formally and informally.

And I do my best to be impartial; there are many people I like and don't like however I have to give credit where credit is due, and I think to point out mis-steps, particularly big ones, is important no matter what show or actor or techie or director. Ultimately a director is responsible for a show, but given that this is community theatre - and I'd like to see some Williamston shows as well to write about them too but the criterion of course would be much different for the sake of review - you simply can't assume you'll be able to cast exemplary actors/singers/dancers/techies in every show. There's a lot of local competition.

And there are many actors/singers/dancers/techies who only like to work with specific directors and vice versa - so these relationships can lesson the chance for a great show to get an equally great cast. The timbre of the script also reflects upon the acting and everything else the show brings to light; if the script is piss poor it's going to be hard to salvage the show. And I understand everyone has different ideas of what piss poor probably means, and it's also possible to semi-save or even rescue a badly written show with very good acting. It's been done before.

At any rate, I'll be cutting my teeth on "Copenhagen" - and will try to see "Follies" as well. Time to get back to it and then I'll be in for the full season, at least at RWT, and will branch out as I can.

Thanks for those who support me, and for those who disagree with the things I write, I respect that too.

Happy Friday, everyone!

e.

No comments: